A single fire sprinkler was all it took to extinguish a fire in a bedroom at the Lodge on Willow student apartment complex in Normal Wednesday afternoon.
The Normal Fire Department responded to the apartments, 214 W. Willow just after 1:15 p.m. to find smoke pouring from a third-floor window. The sprinkler managed to put the fire out. Firefighters shut off the system and ventilated smoke from the apartment.
“The thing about sprinklers is that they get water on a small fire fast and stop it from spreading. If this building didn’t have a sprinkler system, the fire would have likely gone undetected until the entire room and its contents were on fire. From there it likely would have spread to the attic space directly above and into adjacent rooms and apartments,” said Normal Fire Department Public Information Officer Matt Swaney in a press release. “Without sprinklers, the potential damage would have been significant and displaced many residents.”
Damage was contained to the bedroom, which sustained moderate smoke and heat damage. There was also water damaged to the contents of the room and to the ceiling and carpets of the apartment. A damage estimate is not yet available.
Representatives of apartment management company Young America Realty are working to find temporary lodging for the residents of the apartment.