A North Peoria McDonalds suffered a significant amount of damage in an early Monday fire.
Firefighters responded to the McDonalds at 7720 N. University around 4:15 a.m. on a report of smoke coming from the basement. A dryer on fire in the basement was the source of the smoke. The fire was just beginning to spread out as firefighters arrived on scene. Firefighters then ventilated the building.
The Peoria City/County Health Department was also called to the scene. The dryer was a complete loss, and a large amount of food in the basement will be discarded due to damage.
Damages are estimated at $25,000. A release from the fire department said the blaze could have been much worse, as the fire was beginning to reach other flammable materials in the basement.